Cocaine Addiction: What is it?

Some very popular movies almost glorify the use of cocaine. It’s a drug that is known to be extremely addictive. However, drugs like crystal Meth and Crack Cocaine are quickly stealing its Cocaine’s popularity.

There are a number of different variables that determine the addictiveness of Cocaine. The purity and pharmacological mechanism of the drug are two of the major factors.

Help Is A Call Away.(888) 465-4344i

How Cocaine Works

Unlike many other drugs, Cocaine takes effect very quickly, and it also wears off very quickly. This creates a serious problem for Cocaine users because it causes them to want larger amounts of the drug.

It’s very common for Cocaine users to enter into binge mode and order several packages of cocaine in a single day. Depending on how it’s ingested, the length of time needed for Cocaine to take effect is different. Most people choose to snort the drug, but others prefer to eat, inject or smoke it.

The half-life of the drug is quite short. When smoked, the effects of Cocaine can be felt within one minute. It usually takes anywhere from one to three hours for the effects of cocaine to wear off.

A large percentage of Cocaine users end up binging on the drug for several days. After the binge, the users will crash. It’s a pattern of drug use that consists of binging and crashing.

A lot of experts believe that cocaine is actually more dangerous than heroin. When given an unlimited supply of Cocaine, the animal fatality rate is much higher for Cocaine than other drugs.

The Role of Purity

Another aspect of Cocaine addiction is purity. Cocaine that is purchased from a low-level street dealer is known to be very impure. Many of the samples obtained from street dealers have a purity of less than 10 percent.

The other 90 percent consists of whatever substance the dealer decides to use to cut the cocaine. It’s not uncommon for cocaine to be cut with crystal Meth or amphetamine.

Understanding the Setting of Cocaine Addiction

One of the greatest factors that influences whether a person will develop a Cocaine addiction is the setting. Some people are able to use the drug one or two times and never become addicted, but many others become long-term cocaine users.

Studies show that people are more likely to use Cocaine in a setting that they associate with the drug. When tested in laboratories, animals exhibit the same behavior.

A person suffering from Cocaine addiction will usually abuse Cocaine in a situation that they normally feel good in, the drug makes it significantly harder to enjoy the situation without it. Studies also show that a person is more likely to use cocaine when experiencing food restriction.

It’s likely that this is the result of the brain linking starvation with use of the drug. This has some serious implications for people who use cocaine as an aid to weight loss.

Personality Traits and Cocaine Addiction

A Cocaine addiction can be defined as the impulsive use of the drug for an extended period of time. Before using Cocaine, a lot of people focus on the addictiveness of the drug, and they fail to realize that their personality plays a strong role in the odds of developing an addiction.

Help Is A Call Away.(888) 465-4344i

Statistics show that nearly 80 percent of people who try Cocaine do not become addicted, but the other 20 percent can develop a long-term Cocaine addiction.

At the end of the day, it’s impossible to predict who will become addicted to the drug. If you or someone you know is suffering with cocaine addiction, it’s crucial to get help immediately.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *